A Landmark Has Gone
The big lime tree which stood in the garden of Lime Tree House for two hundred years was taken down in December last year, to the regret of the owners. It had become diseased and unsafe. The top photograph, taken around 1900, shows what a feature of the village street it was; the lower picture shows not only the gap where the lime tree has gone, but fewer trees in the background as well. A reminder to plant more trees whenever we can!
Lots of other interesting detail in the older picture too, such as the ruts in the road and the much smaller school.